Thursday, February 28, 2008

Three Most Important Things in Life

This was told to me by a friend. I think this was one of the greatest things I ever heard:

What are the three most important things in life?

1. Health
2. Family
3. Hobbies

Of course having a stable job is important, but if we are missing any of the above three can we say that we are really happy?

Update: (March 5)

Since I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago I have actually received some comments saying to be happy you need to
1) Have a job that you enjoy
2) have money

I agree with these people. Without a steady income supporting 2 and doing 3 is impossible. Depending on the health system of your country, getting medical treatment without a penny to your name would also be difficult. But, why do we work? Do we work because we want to devote our lives to our job? I hope not. I would hope that we work so that we can have a good health plan, pay for our family to live comfortably and support our hobbies. In other words, I would hope that we work to make sure that we have our 3 most important things in life.

Thank you for the comments

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can have any of those three and still not be happy. The basis of happiness is contentment with what you do, or do not, have.

JH said...

I agree that contentment with what you do is very important. Perhaps it is correlated with (mental) health.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jimbo. I am a JET in Saitama. I came to your site through a google search. I was looking through your blog and was wanted to see if you would be interested in providing some feedback for a site I made. Its for teachers teaching english as a second language to share ideas. Its at www.oshieroo.com. If you have any questions or comments please let me know at feedback@oshieroo.com

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your blog. I am a teacher in Atlanta, GA and wanting to connect with a classroom in Japan. We are studying the history/culture of Japan and my sixth graders interested in connection via email, blog, Skype, podcasts, etc

My blog is www.trinityweblog.org/sixthteachers

If you have a class or know of another teacher who would like to connect, I'd love to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

The most important thing is money.
You cannot drink water, feed your kids, go to hospital, brose through your web site WITHOUT MONEY. We are not living in a hunting society.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to mention your blog is very useful for some classroom lesson plans!!!

Cheers

RobertHamburg said...

Hi Jimbo,

So which is the largest English school nowadays in Japan?

Best regs

Rob
www.onlineenglish.eu
TOEIC Preparation online

SusieG said...

When all is said and done, the three most important things in life are: the people you love; the people who love you; and where you spend eternity. Everything else pales next to those.