Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Question 1: How often did you write in your blog?
- Every time and we had an assignment and when I wanted to - 7 students
- Every time we had an assignment - 7 students
- Sometimes - 3 students
- Rarely - 2 students
Question 2: Overall, I would say my blogging experience was:
- Very interesting - 12 students
- Interesting - 5 students
- Hard to judge - 2 students
- Not so interesting - 0 students
- Bad - 0 students
Question 3: I would like to continue to blog in the future:
- Strongly Agree - 3 students
- Agree - 9 students
- Neither Agree nor Disagree - 6 students
- Disagree - 1 student
- Strongly Disagree - 0 students
Question 4: Please write what was good about your blogging experience
Answer Type 1: Being able to communicate with or learn from other people:
- Expose my own ideas and communicate with other people who perhaps thousands miles away from my place
- I can receive response from other people and there are many things what I notice first time. And I can read other people's ideas.
- Good point was to have some comments from others and they were nice to think over my ideas.
- I learned a lot because I was able to study English, various people read my blog, and I was very happy when people commented on my blog.
- We can exchange our thoughts through it.
- We can share own opinions and I learned a lot from them.
- It is difficult to write English blog, but when I wrote itm some people were commented so I was very fun!
- We ETM3 members can know other idea through reading blogs.
- I could know the statement of another people.
Answer Type 2: English improved
- I could write my own thinking in English every time. It is hard word, but I think my ability of English improve.
- I think I could improve my writing skill. I enjoyed sharing opinions each other.
- I could improve my English writing skills.
- I had chance to considering story in English that I want to tell people.
- Blogging improved my English level.
Answer Type 3: Other good points
- I learned how to make a blog.
- It was said that we could write what we wanted to write and I enjoyed being able to write freely.
- I had good experience.
- I can review the lesson.
Question 5: Please write what was good about your blogging experience:
Answer Type 1: Difficult to write in the blog regularly (Note we wrote in the our blogs almost once a week):
- When I was busy, I can't write my blog and I don't access to internet from my home. So I can't write in when I wantr to.
- I noticed that 3rd year students were very busy, so it is difficylt to write a blog every time.
- I sometimes didn't do blogging assignments by the deadline.
- It is difficult because I have no PC at my house.
- Sometimes I wrote in late time.
- It was hard to write my blog, for I have no computer which can use the internet. So the time is limited.
- I can't write blog every day.
Answer Type 2: The topic was decided by the teacher too often:
- I wanted write in the blog not for the sake of doing homework but to write about what I was interested in.
- At the beginning, it was decided what we would have to write so it was difficult for me to write.
Answer Type 3: The Nature of Blogging
- It is hard for me to write blog. Blog is so public, I felt shame.
Question 6: How do you think that JH can improve the use of blogs in the future?
Answer Type 1: More free writing
- More free writing
- I think it is very good thing. In blog, I can express my opinion and receive responces. The blog gives me many good things.
- I think you should ask students to write about every things.
- [My translation] If students were able to write freely in their blogs, I think there would be a lot more enthusiasim about blogging.
Answer Type 2: Class Management and Blogging
- I think it would be better if blogs were brought up more in the classes.
- Make the homework deadlines earlier.
- [My translation] How about students meeting the deadlines?
Answer Type 3: Various suggestions:
- Put a PC in [the English students' room] because sometimes we cannot use PC in [the computer room].
- I think if students are more careful about the blog which are viewed by others it would be nice.
Answer Type 4: Do not change anything
- Very good! It is the good opportunity to write my opinion in English.
- It's difficult question. I think you don't have to improve the use of blogs for ETM3.
- I should use blogs for ETM3 in the future.
- It's good! Keep this style!
My Conclusion on my second blogging project:
What does this all mean? One, I should consider more free writing... There is much more that I could write but it is time for me to leave work and go home! The swings are beckoning my son and I. I have to start working on another project tomorrow, so I will not be able to finish writing this until next week. Stay tuned.
As I had been so busy with work at the university, I was not able to prepare for the presentation until the last second. I did not start practicing my presentation until I had arrived at Kochi and eaten dinner. The presentation at the conference actually did not go so badly but there were some thing that I wanted to say that I did not. I have made a webpage which outlines all the research I have done on vocabulary notebooks these past few months. Eventually, I will write two papers from this research:
1) A proposal on how to use vocabulary notebooks in class - grounded on theory and practice
2) What effects can the use of vocabulary notebooks have on the word learning strategies that students use?
I hope that the webpage I have put on the internet will be of service to teachers interested in vocabulary learning. The webpage can be accessed here.